Thursday, December 3, 2009

According to a friend, I'm a wanderlust

Last week, I was finally able to realize a plan which hatched a long time ago as I continued to listen to the Healing Touch radio program by Fr. Fernando Suarez every Sunday at 6pm, Philippine time. (Those interested to view the program via the net can go to www.veritas846.ph during the schedule). I have wanted to make a "pilgrimage" to Monte Maria as thanksgiving for all the blessings I continue to receive and I even put it in my calendar so many times but failed to act on it, but I guess, when the right time comes, things happen.

Then it did happen. I woke up early on that fine Thursday morning, took a bath, had a light breakfast and grabbed the bag I prepared the night before. I left the flat at about eight-thirty in the morning, was at Buendia bus terminal after half an hour and we were off to Batangas after a good ten minute wait. (The bus fare is PhP 157.00). Balagtas was my first stop in Batangas after almost two hours on the road. There, I took a jeepney going to Batangas city for another Php 10.00. It didn't take very long to get to the heart of the place. Once in the city, I asked for directions how to get to SM city where I was to take the final jeepney ride to the sanctuary. A tricycle took me to a stop near SM city for PhP 8.00, and I walked the short distance towards the mall, thinking that there's a jeepney terminal within its premises bound to Monte Maria. By that time, it was already 11 o'clock. Time for lunch and then off to look for the next ride.

I figured it would be best to continue travelling on a full stomach than to carry the food when I did not really know when I'd get to consume it in peace. Our ever friendly Jollibee was not so difficult to find. There, I also chatted the young cashier to get additional information on how to get to Monte Maria.

Lunch consumed, additional provision bought and secured in the bag, I was ready to go. The kind people of Batangas at the stop told me about jeepneys going to De la Paz and Polot, just around the corner a short distance from SM--very accessible, best to walk towards it. Not knowing that just around the corner was actually a good hike, I started my walk. Having rounded the corner and found the jeepneys parked by the road side was like finding an oasis for a hungry and tired traveller in the desert. I must have asked more than three drivers who kept telling me De la Paz ride is just ahead of you (Sa unahan lang...) So, I kept walking. It must have been a 20-minute walk with my bag weighing heavily on my shoulder and my long umbrella beginning to serve as a staff, before I finally found THE ride.

There were two friendly Batanguenos by the jeepney. An old lady and an old man. The old man told me that the fare was PhP35.00. Hmm. I was beginning to think that I had a long trip ahead of me. It was 12 noon. The jeepney had to be filled BEFORE going up the area, so I decided to take a nap and prayed that passengers arrive fast, otherwise I might not get to my destination before nightfall. The kind lady told me about another route to get back to the city, and also how to get to this area faster and without having to hike a distance. (Take Libjo jeep from the city to get to the De la Paz jeep wait area.)

I was really dizzy from the bus trip and my meal, so I dozed off, insterspered with praying the "Glory be's and St. Therese of the Child Jesus, pray for us." By a quarter to two in the afternoon, I was beginning to panic, it was getting late. Still continuing my silent litany, I waited. Soon, passengers arrived in droves. They came from the market, having bought the family supply for the month, I suppose. The jeepney was finally ready to move, filled with passengers, even on the roof. I only knew about them, because it began to rain heavily as we neared the peak? of the mountain and there was a loud thudding sound from the roof. This was acknowledged by a quick stop so the men on the roof can transfer to the back of the jeepney where they could avoid the rain.

The way to Monte Maria was not like any provincial trip I have taken before. At first, you get a feeling of entering a virgin forest, with huge trees hovering by the wayside, and then a smattering of houses and even "subdivisions" remind you that it is an inhabited place. Oil refineries also claimed portions of the land as well as a harbor for ship carrying more oil (?). But the sea view was spectacular. If I were travelling by car, I could have stopped at some spots to immortalize them with my camera.

After almost an hour on the road, I WAS AT THE FOOT OF MONTE MARIA. With sigh of relief and satisfaction, I alighted from the jeepney and walked towards the chapel. It's a temporary site as explained to me by Mang Rey, a 24/7 volunteer. He's from Bataan who is praying and waiting for acceptance to a religious congregation. The permanent site for Monte Maria is located on a nearby hill were visibly situated is Sto Nino Church which will be ready by January 2010.

I took some shots of the current altar and some also of its surrounding beauty, and decided to leave afterwards. It was one of my lucky days for I was able to hitch a ride back to the city with a family who were also leaving. I'm hoping to return very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment