Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wednesday post Ondoy

It's a very humid afternoon. I just came from Caritas Manila having brought a few goods--toothpaste, toothbrush, and bath soap for the victims of Thyphoon Ondoy. Today is my first time to venture out of the house after the big flood. During the past few days, I was glued to radio Veritas 846 AM band, listening to updates. It's been a little depressing since thousands of families have become homeless, and some people even died. I heard one text message about someone's friend who drowned in the flood... It is providential that my place didn't get denuded while the nearby streets have sunk in the waters. The worst case that happened in the apartment was the drainage clogging in the third floor. With the heavy downpour, it created a pool of water which sought realease and found it inside the house, but eventually ceased when I removed the cause--leaves and soil from my garden in the third floor. I, on the other hand, got drenched from head to foot in my attempt to stop the flooding of my apartment.

While in the jeepney, I couldn't help from thinking about the possible worst case scenario when the next thyphoon hits Manila. It's supposed to arrive sometime this afternoon. Peping can be very frightening especially because the streets are littered with garbage everywhere! I refrained from throwing my rubbish early this morning because I thought I might contribute to the remnants of floating debris from Ondoy's onslaught. And I wasn't mistaken.

I left the apartment with a plastic bag of moderate size filled with slippers, some mugs, glasses and medicines. A bigger bag with clothes, towels,and a blanket was too heavy for me by myself, so I left it at home. The one I could carry, I left at St. Anthony's Parish in San Andres, Bukid. The kind parish worker asked me to leave my parcel at the corner near the door and I noticed that it looked rather lonely. There were no other bags to give away. Noticing my expression, she hastily explained that the other goods have been taken to the evacuees yesterday. I hope other people living near the church will eventually bring more of their extras soon, otherwise, I fear that my bag will be very lonely indeed.

Caritas, on the otherhand, was a buzz with people coming and going. Young people were busy repacking noodles and coffee while exchanging funny banter. I suppose, to lighten the mood. The Caritas personnel I spoke with earlier told me that they didn't need more volunteers today as seminarians are on their way. Having heard that, I decided to leave for lunch. There were no medicines being packed or soaps, so after lunch, I purchased some from the nearby Mercury Drug, then texted a friend for help. He was fast asleep and replied only after I have already delivered the goods, but he's returning with me to Caritas in the next few days to bring more relief goods. He is particularly interested in actually going to the evacuation sites to meet the victims.


It's heart-warming to know that pinoys are ever ready to help the needy in times like this. Veritas now and then reports the amount collected and spent for the flood victims and in a matter of 2-3 days, money donated reached 3 million pesos. It will take some time before the families who lost their homes will be able to rebuild their lives. But no matter how long it takes, there will always be a helping hand, ready to assist them. Kudos to Caritas, volunteers and donors who remain nameless, yet within reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment